Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

SHOULD GIRLS WEAR SHORTIES THAT SHOW THEIR UNDIES?

The security guard at a mall  the other day kicked out a young girl who was wearing shorts so high on her legs that he could see her underwear.  Most people my age would probably support that action.


I suppose I might have agreed, until yesterday. My husband and I have Sunday brunch at a college hangout, and since school just started, we got to see what current styles are popular these days.  I think I wrote last spring about nose rings, but this new crop of college girls seem to be going minimalist.  No nose rings, sometimes not even earrings.  And yes, they’re wearing those shortie shorts that look like they have on  nothing but underpants beneath those long tee shirts. 

First, I’m really glad that wasn’t the style when I was in college.  I have skinny legs and knobby knees, and I think that would not have been a good look for me.  And they definitely are not flattering to women who are overweight.  But when you’re in college, you want to dress like everyone else in order to fit in.  That’s why you see so many girls on the beaches during spring break wearing bikinis that do absolutely nothing to cover up their less attractive features.  Oddly, I don’t find this new look particularly sexy.  It’s sort of a little girl look, like kids emerging from a sleepover. If they were on a beach, they would appear normal, and no one would be shocked. 

Times change, attitudes change.  A couple of hundred years ago, a lady showing her ankles was thought to be indecent.  They even built houses with separate his and hers stairways , so that a gentleman would not follow a lady up the steps and get a glimpse of her ankles.


So I’m thinking, if that’s the look this year, it really won’t hurt anyone, and short shorts are a pretty cheap wardrobe item.  See, they’re saving money to pay off their student loans!

See my new blog @ livingwellafter80.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

love to hear your comments!

DECLUTTERING DIARY: DAY 93

See my new blog post @   livingwellafter80.com

EightyGo