Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

IS LINKEDIN FOR DUMMIES?


 I didn’t even know how to spell it until last week.  For some reason, I had a blog post go viral a few days ago  (  https://eightygo.blogspot.com/2018/07/decluttering-dairy-day-one.html  ) and all of a sudden I was asked to sign up for LinkedIn because people were searching for me.  Out of curiosity, I signed up, and found that supposedly, some lawyers and CEOs and other important sounding people wanted to know more about me.


My age and other personal information is all over the internet if you key in my name, so I don’t know why they thought Linkedin was a good place to find out about me.  If you see the title of my blog (EightyGo) it obvious that I’m not looking for a job.  And yet, Linkedin has alerted me to numerous jobs that I might qualify for.  The  majority of the job titles are “Recruiting Coordinator,” which apparently pays less than I was making when I retired 18 years ago as the Director of Nutrition Services at an acute care hospital.  Realistically speaking, I don’t think a lady of eighty from Indiana is going to be hired for one of these jobs in New York or LA.  But it’s kind of intriguing to think that seems to be where Linkedin thinks my aptitude lies.  I don’t know what I would have studied in college if that’s what I aspired to be.

Also, they have suggested I “link up” with other people I barely know.  Why would I bother these people by asking someone like me to be their Linkedin buddy? 

Now, I’ve seen that there are several u-tube videos about how to use Linkedin, but I find those how--to videos tedious to watch, especially if they’re done by someone with a foreign accent that you can’t understand.  I guess it shows that even though I thought I was pretty savvy about social media, it’s obvious that I’m not.  Almost everything I do online (including this blog) is pretty much trial and error.  As my husband says, “you just start punching buttons until something happens.”  Honestly, I don’t even know how to design a template for my blog, which is why you see only my picture and the title, EightyGo.  I’d like to change it, but I’m afraid I’ll mess things up, so I’m leaving it for now.


Right now, I'm wondering who else is searching for me on Linkedin. 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment

love to hear your comments!

DECLUTTERING DIARY: DAY 93

See my new blog post @   livingwellafter80.com

EightyGo